From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:47:47 -0600
Subject:        Question on an old wall map
Date:   Mon, 14 Jan 2008 12:28:32 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps List <[log in to unmask]>

hello and happy new year to you all;

I have a question from another librarian locally. She has the following
wall map and wants to know what it is worth and how rare it may be (partly
so she knows if she should keep it and have it conserved better and if it
may have some value to anyone for research). The info is:

I have an old (antique) chart of the solar system that is labeled
"Instructive Solar Chart" and at the bottom it says "Copyrighted Nov. 27
1885, Whitcomb and Terry, Batavia, NY."

I hunted on OCLC/World Cat and also around a variety of internet searches
but neither the title (or a variant) NOR the publishers/producers show up
anywhere. I have a few thoughts on it but would not have the ability to
estimate the value. So 2 questions come up:

1. Does anyone have anything on the chart or on its producers?
2. Is there anyone who can suggest someone who could give a value to it
(most likely as an antique I would guess)?

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672