From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:27:17 -0600
Subject:        Re: legends for NIMA/NGA charts
Date:   Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0800 (PST)
From:   Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Mike,

I had this question a few years ago and ended up contacting NGA. The first person I corresponded with referred me to the FAA charts, but when I asked if I could assume that they used the same symbols, I was told no. After a few phone calls, I eventually spoke with a live person.  Based on my conversations with them, it's my understanding that the symbols for terrain features on the TPCs have not been standardized.  They may vary from area to area because the NGA uses topographic maps from different sources (e.g., a foreign government's mapping agency) as the base maps for it's TPCs.  The symbols are carried over from those base maps.  The symbols that are standardized by NGA are the ones shown on the legend.

If you find a different answer, please let the list know.

Thanks,

Kathy Stroud, Map/GIS Librarian
Biological/Agricultural Sciences, Shields Library
100 NW Quad Ave.
Davis, CA 95616-5292
530-752-5248