From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:19:32 -0500
Subject:        Re: wide format scanners/historic map image servers
Date:   Wed, 18 Aug 2010 23:56:57 -0700
From:   Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
<[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]

You might look at Microsoft's Deep Zoom Composer.  Much slicker than
Zoomify for hosting large images online.  There are command line tools
that could process the maps in batches.
http://www.seadragon.com/developer/creating-content/deep-zoom-composer/

You can see some examples I put together here that use the same technology.
http://www.gelib.com/microsoft-sea-dragon-map.htm

You could also use Google Earth, especially if you plan on
geo-referencing the maps.
Check out http://www.gelib.com/historic-topographic-maps.htm to see
how I was able to use Google earth to provide access to several 100
historic topos.  The basic process I used is

1)  Georeference the maps
2)  Process the maps into KML (can be done in batches)
3)  Upload to server
4)  Enter data about the maps into a spreadsheet (Name of map, Year,
Scale, Top Left Corner, etc.)
5)  Spreadsheet data is run through a macro that creates the KML index
file (the rectangle outlines of each map, the clickable links, etc.).
6)  Upload the KML index file to the server.

The only real time consuming parts are georeferencing the maps and
entering the data about each map into the spreadsheet.  Everything
else is more or less done by the computer in batches.

You might consider signing up for a Google Adsense account to help pay
for scanner.  Not sure how much traffic your home page gets, but a
couple well placed ads on your website could probably net you
somewhere around $3-$10 for every 1,000 visitors.  Very easy to set
up.

Good luck, I'm also hoping to add several 1,000 more historic topo
maps to my website....just don't have the time lately.

Matt Fox
Google Earth Library