From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:43:43 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:53:54 -0600
From: Stroeve <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Chicago Map Society March Meeting
Sender: Stroeve <[log in to unmask]>

Place:   The Newberry Library, Towner Felllows' Lounge
         60 W. Walton,  Chicago,  IL  60610
Time:    5:30 - 7:00 PM,  Thursday  16 March 2000
Program: Ray Brod
         "Mapping and Maps"
More:    312-255-3689  and/or  [log in to unmask]

One of the great advances in the history of cartography in recent
decades has been an expansion of our whole conception of the field.
Once upon a time, a history of cartography was a narrative about
collectible printed maps produced in western Europe from about 1500
to about 1800.  Newer thinking takes into account maps and "maplike"
images and constructs from a variety of cultures and time periods.
Our March speaker feels that we all have our own unique ideas of what
the world is really like.  His presentation will help us stretch our
concepts of mapping presenting a variety of such "personal
cartographies".

Ray Brod is the head of the Cartography Laboratory in the Anthropology
Department at the University of Illinois at Chicago and a long-time
member of the Chicago Map Society.

non-member meeting fee $5
--- End Forwarded Message ---