From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 14:46:25 EST
2 messages concerning the software (CD-ROM) program PC Globe.-----Johnnie

--------------------------------------

      Fri, 25 Mar 1994 14:21:55 -0500
      [log in to unmask] (David Sauer)
         PC-Globe

While the maps displayed by "PC-Globe Maps 'n' Facts" are an improvement,
program performance is not.  It takes several minutes to load, uses
large amounts of RAM, and is extremely slow.  I removed our copy and
reloaded PC-Globe version 5 because no one had the patience to sit
through 5 minutes of the PC crunching through swap files just to load
or change to a new map.  The PC it was on is a 386-33Mhz with math
coprocessor, 5 Mb RAM, and SVGA.  Even the DCW loads maps faster!
David Sauer
Stone Science Library, Boston Univ. College of Liberal Arts

--------------------------------------

              "David C. McQuillan"  <[log in to unmask]>
              25 Mar 94 13:13:53 EDT
              PC Globe update

Well here is the story on PC Globe.  It has been acquired by
Boderbound and can be reached at (800) 521-6263.  Ask for Daniel.  PC
Globe would have been 6.0 but it has been renamed "Maps & Facts" 1.0.
PC USA is available in the 3.0 version.  Upgrades are $15 for each
program.  Outright purchase is $34.95 each for the consumer editions.
There is a CD-ROM version for "Maps & Facts" only, which is $25 for
an upgrade.  All other versions are on floppies.

Since many of us on Maps-L have these programs, I thought it would be
of interest to list.  Thanks to Dale at Ariz. for the lead.David C. McQuillan
Map Librarian
Map Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia, S.C.  29208