From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:15:04 -0600
Subject:        MAPS-L: Searching by coordinates questions
Date:   Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:51:30 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Jimmie,

I don't have an algorithm to offer, but some years ago I did see a demo at
LC G&M showing what Voyager was capable of doing using coordinate-based
searching. It was a bit clumsy and needed some refinement, but I do not
know where the company has gone with this capability, it is my
understanding that they developed this as a "package" or "unit" of Voyager
that the institution had to choose to pay extra for at one time. That said,
the best way to make this useable would be to plug in a set of coordinates
and have all items that overlapped within the given geographic area be
retrieved. Map scale would not matter, what you are attempting to do is
retrieve all items that touched upon or fell within a polygon (which could
be a bounding box too) of coordinates and then allow the patron to sort
through that set by some other parameter, one of which might be scale. I
believe the coordinates searching capability on the Alexandria Digital
Library works this way, and if not I'm sure Mary L. can straighten me out
in a hurry!

I see this as a very powerful means of retrieval, and more exact than
textual combinations as well. In my workshops that I teach I always tell
attendees that putting coordinates in a given record is an option withon
our current standards, that the "LC practice" is to input coordinates when
they appear on the map, but that in reality we should all be inputting
coordinates at the very least when they do appear on the map because the
time is coming when coordinate-based searching is going to really take off
and thus we will be contributing to the good of such a mechanism. Its still
up to each cataloger, but I have always input coordinates when they appear
on the map, and will also input U.S. state coordinates even when they are
not on the map simply because of a handy chart I still have from the map
cataloging workshop I took from Arlyn Booth back in 1987!

Paige