From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:30:00 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:02:37 -0800
From: Peter Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cartographic Perspectives, No. 38, Winter 2001
Sender: Peter Keller <[log in to unmask]>

I am he who wrote the map library article in the recent CP.

I did write the article to be provocative.  My apologies to those of you I
offended.  My intention was provocation, not offense.  A fine line -
Alice’s and others’ points are well taken (I wish I was that young).

My neck clearly is in the noose for the style I choose to present my
arguments?  Should the message of the article get lost in the process of my
hanging - that would be unfortunate and poor strategy indeed.

One thing I will say in my defense is that I make the point in the article
on a number of occasions that there is a lot of excellent and visionary
work and thinking done by map librarians for map libraries, and for the
geographic information user community.  This work is truly appreciated and
valued.  Those of you who have gone public with critique of my article are
part of the leading light.  I am not critical of where the leading lights
are taking us. I am worried about those left behind, and those that will
not survive the move into the post-technology world.

Enough said.  Again, my sincerest apologies to those I offended.

C. Peter Keller, PhD
Professor of Geography
Chair, Canadian National Committee for Cartography
Technical Councillor for Cartography, the Canadian Institute for Geomatics

Department of Geography
University of Victoria
PO Box 3050
Victoria, BC