From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:41:02 -0600
Subject: Re: Map Inventory
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 10:25:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

One of the things Kathleen touched on that to me (if I were managing a
map collection) would be a very compelling reason to do an inventory is
to "see" where the gaps are in the collection. Leading to efforts to
fill at least some of the more critical ones, and thus improving your
collection, or alternately to "fill" gaps through the means of finding
digital cartographic resources if and when possible (at least that saves
drawer space). Much depends on what kind of map collection one has and
how it it, or is to be, used. An "active" collection, particularly at
any research institution, is worth knowing as best as possible what you
have and why (and preservation also plays a role in this as Kathleen
notes). A collection that less used or might act more as an archival
repository still should answer the question "what do I have/own?" but
perhaps the need to inventory is also lessened, particularly if its
fully cataloged or was accurately inventoried in the past but hasn't grown!
   that much.

As a cataloger who has been a part of nearly 19 years of retrospectively
cataloging a major research map collection can attest, inventorying has
several benefits, Kathleen and others have touched on most, if not all
of them. Uncovering things that you thought were cataloged but were not,
DE-DUPING or otherwise eliminating items from the collection so that
time and money is not wasted during the cataloging process, catching
maps that were incorrectly classified so that once corrected the user
has better access to them in their proper location and just generally
fixing errors of any kind to improve accuracy and accessibility.

I see more reasons TO conduct an inventory than not, though naturally
the lack of personnel and thus competing higher-priority tasks may
prevent it from happening.