From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 16:10:55 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 13:13:05 -0500
From: Ellen Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: maps oriented with east to top
Sender: Ellen Crosby <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

It's amazing what people will call you up with, just because you're
"historical!" I just got a question that I'm sure some of you will know the
long answer to.

Why did ancient cartographers orient their maps with east to the top? Or,
maybe more to the point for the middle school class who have the question,
how did we come to the convention that maps will have north to the top?

Thanks for your help! Ellen
--
Ellen Crosby, Head of Cataloging
Indiana Historical Society Library