From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:15:51 -0500
Subject: Care of Circulating Maps
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:07:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: Linda R Zellmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Air Photo Maps, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

Below is a document that I used in several other collections. It was
printed on goldenrod colored paper and taped to the map tubes that were
also checked out with the maps when they circulated. The tubes were in
two parts -- the long piece and a shorter lid that slid over an inner
tube. This was put on the short lid. When a student objected to the fact
that he was being charged for damage, the Assistant Dean looked at the
information on the tube and sided with us. I hope this helps. Linda Zellmer

CARE OF CIRCULATING MAPS

Because maps are easily damaged, we would like borrowers to observe
these rules:

1.  Please do not write on maps.

2.  If maps are flat when borrowed, please do not fold or crease them,
even to photocopy.

3.  Please use paper clips or binder clamps to hang maps on push pins or
hooks, do not use staples, pins, tape or tacks.

4.  If you need to use tape to hold mylar or tracing paper on a map, use
only drafting tape on the unprinted edges.

5.  Map users will be held responsible for damage done to maps.

Thank You for helping us preserve the materials in the Map Collection.

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian