From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2008 15:33:12 -0500
Subject:        Re: 1866 GLO map of Alameda County California
Date:   Mon, 7 Jul 2008 20:22:12 GMT
From:   Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I think the patron's citation actually refers either to:

1.
Map of public surveys in California & Nevada : to accompany report of Commissioner of the General Land Office, 1866. <1866>
Author: United States. General Land Office.
Published: [Washington, D.C.] : Department of the Interior, General Land Office, 1866 ([New York] : The New York Lithographing, Engraving & Printg. Co. : Lith. of J. Bien)  1 map  (the Alameda County portion would not be detailed, measuring perhaps only 4 x 4 in.)

or, more likely:

2.
[Township plat maps of the United States]
In this giant set approx. ca. 25-30 maps provide complete geographic coverage for Alameda County.  These manuscript maps are in the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in Sacramento, and (theoretically at least) also in manuscript at the Alameda County Surveyor's Office.  The University of California, Berkeley Library has copies of most (or all?) primarily on microfiche, but some as photo or manuscript copies.

I don't know if any of the above are yet online.

Philip Hoehn, Map Librarian
San Francisco -- [log in to unmask]

-- Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have a patron looking for an online map. Does anyone know of a
resource that shows the 1866 General Land Office map of Alameda County
California?

If an online version doesn't already exist, if you have something you
could scan (for a fee or not) for this patron, please let me know about
that too.

Thanks.

Angie
AGSL