From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:42:11 -0600
Subject:        Re: Conspiracy of Science
Date:   Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:15:02 -0000
From:   Nicholas Verge <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Angie,

I presume you brought this animation to our attention to entertain us by
showing an example of sheer stupidity and how utterly wrong-headed
proponents of the Expanding Earth theorey are. It is out there with those
who claim mankind coexisted with the dinosaurs. Never once is it ever
explained why the earth would be expanding, or the answers to the question
if the planet is expanding, what was its initial state and what will
become of it in the future. Such a hypothesis would be a reasonable one,
if we were still living in the dark ages (it seems some still are) knew
next to nothing about physiscs, the Earth and its history. However, we now
know a huge amount about these and none of it provides any support for
this ludicrous idea. Another strong peice of geological evidence that
refutes the idea of an expanding planet is the presence of convergent
plate boundary zones (subduction zones and major moutain belts) throughout
earth history. These mark regions where two ro more lithospheric plates
are, or have been, moving towards each other, a concept incompatible with
the idea that the Planet is expanding!

The only thing I am amazed about is the stupidity of the very small number
of cranks who continue to advocate such nonsense, when there is an
extremely successful model explaining how and why the earths lithosphere
moves and one that can successfully explain the great majority of smaller
scale earth processes, features and phenomena as being a direct or
indirect result of this motion. I am of course refering to Plate
Tectonics, driven by convection within the asthenosphere, probably one of
the all-time most susccessful concepts in the history of science, along
with evolution, quantum mechanics, the Big Bang and general relativity.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:48:48 -0000, Angela R Cope <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This video is a Neal Adams animation about his theory that the Earth is
> growing. This collides with the Pangea theory. Watch it, you will be
> amazed.
>
> http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&resnum=0&q=The+Expanding+Earth+Theory&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#
>

> Angie

Nicholas J. Verge BSc. FGS
Geologist and geological remote sensing/GIS consultant

Earthscience Technologies
Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire, UK.

Voice: ++ 44 (0)1491 572022 (office hours 0900-2200UTC, Monday - Saturday)
Email: [log in to unmask]