From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denise Coles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:16:01 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: 2 Feb 2001 10:12:00 CST
From: Denise Coles <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "Disappearing" neighborhoods
Sender: Denise Coles <[log in to unmask]>

There is an interesting article in the Houston Chronicle today (it has to
happen once or twice a year) about how a newcomer's guide map created by the
city's biggest economic development organization just happens to leave out the
city's minority neighborhoods.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/metropolitan/812784

The map is at:

http://www.houston.org/newcomersguide/neighborhoods.html

The president of the group that created the map is quoted as saying "We have a
wide spectrum of opportunity for anyone who is looking for a house."
Apparently his idea of "anyone" is a bit limited.  It is clear which kinds of
"newcomer" they prefer to encourage.  I'd wonder if this map would even have
been brought to anyone's attention if it had not been on the Internet, since
they based it on other booklets they have distributed the last few years.

It could be argued that they are just going after their target demographic,
but who decides what that is, especially when city funds are used to support
this organization?   Does the Internet make a difference as now their product
is available to a much larger audience? Are we to assume by looking at the map
that these are all the "good" areas and all the rest are places to avoid?
Personally I think it is great that someone is holding this group accountable
for their biases and it probably should have happened much earlier than this.
It would be interesting to know how widespread this kind type of social
editing of maps is.

Denise

--- End Forwarded Message ---