From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:48:03 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Question: Moving Map Cases
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005
From: [log in to unmask]
To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"

Dear Colleagues,

Just a bit more on moving map cases, though I obviously can't advise on
specific brands or companies.

 Here in the State Library of Victoria, we have moved the map collection
several times, and the most recent move, in 2003, involved re-spraying the
old map cases rather than buying new ones.  So of course the contents had
to be removed.  The maps were placed in firm "Corex" folders with tapes
around each one, loaded onto trolleys and stacked while the cabinets and
drawers were sprayed.  Then the cabinets, with drawers removed, were taken
to their new location, and the drawers replaced.  It is very important to
label all drawers carefully, as they should be replaced in the same order
within the cabinet - they seem never to run smoothly if replaced in a
different order.

The move was done by a professional removalist company, but many of the
cases are still a bit cock-eyed, and drawers do not all run smoothly -
great care needs to be taken in keeping cases and drawers level as much as
possible.  If we had not had to spray- paint our cases, we would still have
taken all the drawers out, left the maps inside them, and padded them with
Corex sheets and/or foam for removal.

I hope this is of some help to Carol.

Cheers,
Judith.