From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 15:23:34 EST
3 messages.-------------------Johnnie

>From: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Commercial maps
>Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:31:56 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Our map collection keeps maps together with their covers
unless they are easily separable.  When (if) map needs to
be encapsulated because of heavy use, the cover is removed
and housed separately.  The cover, index, etc. are not
cataloged separately but are appended to the map record
either in 300, e.g.,
   1 map : col. ; 50 x 100 cm., folded in cover 23 x 11
cm.

or in a 500 note, e.g,
   Accompanied by index (31 p.)

The removed covers or indexes are shelved separately
(usually on book shelves) and require that a separate
shelving location be added to the catalog record for them.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 17:05:48 EST Sue Haffner
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > Hello, again,
> >
> > I want to thank Russell Guy for his informative account
> > of the complexities of contemporary map publishing. It
> > points up how important it can be to keep both the map
> > and its cover together--in order to have all the information
> > necessary to determine responsibility.
> >
> > However, we frequently separate the map from its hard
> > cover (and sometimes, of course, they are not attached,
> > at all). We circulate our flat maps by rolling them up
> > in mailing tubes. The presence of the cover would make
> > that difficult. (At times, we keep the map folded in the
> > cover and keep it in an envelope in the vertical file,
> > but not often--as I prefer that we not have to look in
> > two places for a general map.)
> >
> > In doing retrospective cataloguing of our collection, I
> > have encountered some of these 'orphan' maps, obviously
> > separated from their covers at some time in the past.
> > Some of these poor things lack titles and/or statements
> > of responsibility, so searching them on OCLC becomes a
> > real test of your detective ability.
> >
> > I would be interested to hear what other libraries do with
> > maps in covers. Even more: maps in covers that have indexes
> > or gazetteers attached to the cover. Do you keep them
> > together? Separate them? Catalogue the index as a separate
> > item?
> >
> > Sue Haffner
> > Map Library
> > CSU Fresno
> > Fresno, Calif.
> >
> > --RAA00553.887333709/zimmer.csufresno.edu--

Phil Hoehn, Map Bibliographer
Branner Earth Sciences Library
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2210

>Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:42:21 -0500 (EST)
>From: william j thornton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Commercial maps

At Michigan covers which are seperated from the maps are stored in
vertical files and the maps in map cases, with item records for
each.

>Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:03:49 -0500
>From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Commercial maps

maps/accompanying indexes:

Here at PSU for those maps that come with a cover we do the following:

A. If its just a cover the cover is removed and tossed, the map goes in the
map drawers
B. If its a cover with index info. either printed on it or attached in the
form of a "text" it
   is removed, given the identical call number followed by the word "Guide"
and filed in call
   number order in Pam boxes, which sit on top of the map cases. The bib.
record also gets a
   500 note with the title of the index, if different, plus paginations and
size in parentheses
C. If the map is accompanied by a separately physical published index the
index is treated as
   in B. above unless the map title and index title are identical (not
usually), in which case
   a 500 note is not generated, instead we use subfield $e in the 300 field
to simply identify
   an index exists. Again, the index gets the identical call number, with
the word "Guide"
   following it (one of the few nice things about having a home-grown
system is the flexibility
   of the call number field)

On rare occasions a separately bound and issued index is cataloged
separately instead of identified through the bib. record for the map, this
occurs when there is enough evidence that the index *could be considered*
the primary material but the map is what we needed to describe for the sake
of the collection(s).

Hope this helps!

Paige