From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 14:38:49 EST
     Yes, the Internet is still in childhood, but it is no longer in infancy.
And it is learning rapidly to manage wildweed growth.  Creating a discussion
list about ANY thing for ANY reason is no longer defined as acceptable.

     To gate ASIS-L over to UseNet we had to demonstrate to administrators
that it filled an unmet need, that creation of the list was justified and
could not be handled under an already existing umbrella discussion list.  We
had to define the number of existing or expected subscribers and the level of
anticipated activity.

     Part of that process included asking the parent list subscribers AND
members of any other list covering the same general topic if there was any
objection to the creation of that list.  It also included asking for
discussion by discussion list administrators.  According to those rules, if
discussion included ANY strong objections, a vote had to be taken over a 7
day period and the results posted and followed.

     Strong objections have, in my view, been made.  Perspectives on a new
list, pro and con, have been offered.  I call for those proposing the new
list to take a vote by personal mail and post its results.  Then we all
follow those results and discussion is ceased.

Debra Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah