From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:50:26 EDT
4 messages.------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:49:11 -0700
>From: Greg Armento <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: solar azimuth

Try this site, courtesy of the US Naval Observatory.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/AltAz.html
--
Greg Armento
History and Geography Librarian

>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:17:00 -0500
>From: "James R. Carter" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: angle of sun

For angles of the sun, look in William Sellers, Physical Climatology, from
the 1960s.  He has diagrams in there that come from a U.S. federal
government volume.  That volume contains many more examples.  I am on the
road and do not have the books in front of me, sorry.

These diagrams let you determine the height of the sun and angle in the sky
for any time of day for any day of the year.  The diagrams are computed for
different latitudes.  Start with Sellers which should be easy to find.

>I have a patron who is looking for some sort of chart/map/diagram/web-site
>that
>would tell him the angle of the sun at various points on the earth at
>various times of the year.
>
>Thanking you ahead of time,
>
>--Christopher JJ Thiry
>Map Librarian
>Colorado School of Mines
>1400 Illinois
>PO Box 4029
>Golden, CO 80401-0029
>
>voice:  303-273-3697
>fax:    303-273-3199

>http://www.mines.edu/library/maproom/
>http://www.mines.edu/fs_home/cthiry/

Dr. James R. Carter, Professor, Geography/Geology Department
Illinois State University,  Normal, IL 61790-4400  USA

Director, Laboratory for Integrated Learning and Technology
at Illinois State University, and
Chair, Map Use Commission of the International Cartographic Assocation

tel: (309) 438-2833    fax: (309) 438-5310    [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 06:48:41 -0400
>From: Stephen Baig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: angle of sun

Christopher,

Years ago just such a set of sun-angle nomograms ws published by the
Department of Mines and Something-or-other in Canada.  The nomograms were
reprinted  in at least one publication of the American Society of
Photogrammetry, in Virginia.   The charts were used to determine when the
sun angle was great enough to produce useful imagery.

Stephen Baig

Oceanographer,
TPC/National Hurricane Center
Miami, FL

305.229.4444

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:31:52 -0500
>From: Jeff Ahrens <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: angle of sun

Azimuth and altidude of the sun can be found at:

                   http://aa.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/docs/AltAz.html

The USNO web site allows one to determine sunrise and sunset for any part
of the world, but this feature has not been added to the azimuth/altitude
site.  MICA on the Web might also provide this information, but I couldn't
get into it a couple of days ago.

A place to start, anyway.  More choiced at:

                              http://riemann.usno.navy.mil/AA/data/

Jeff Ahrens