From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 16:56:19 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:58:05 -0700
From: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sample scan of old AMS-series index - is this useful to you?
Sender: Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

Over the years, one type of query that keeps popping
up is requests for copies of the old AMS map-series index.
A few months back Paige Andrew (Penn) and I were talking
about this and I offered to have us here scan
a sample.  Just to try it out, the scanning staff here scanned
one such index (both sides), at 200dpi.

http://www.sdc.ucsb.edu/~mary/hokkaido_front.jpg

http://www.sdc.ucsb.edu/~mary/hokkaido_back.jpg

a. Would it be useful to you/your library's users to
have all the old AMS indexes scanned and available
over the Web?
Please tell me specifically how your users or you as
a map librarian would use these.
(I have a couple of obvious ideas on this - e.g.,
fill in missing indexes; users can check over
web to see what sheet numbers are, etc..... -
but am sure you will come up with others).

b. Are the files too large? should they be
scanned at, say, 150 or 100dpi, or sampled down?
______________________________________

Mary Lynette Larsgaard
Assistant Head, Map and Imagery Laboratory
Davidson Library
University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara CA 93106
telephone: 805/893-4049