From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 12:12:19 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 11:26:02 -0400
From: minton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: R.Mc. COM. ATLAS & MKTING GUIDE
Sender: minton <[log in to unmask]>

Helenjane et al,

Something that is related and could impact your decision(s).

The policy may have changed, but I just remembered something (without
checking & that's dangerous as one gets older) but I remember at least
from the 70s and 80s that libraries "rented or leased" the atlases from
R.Mc.  i.e., one sigend a contract to return the outdated vol.s.
R.Mc>'s argument was that they did not want outdated materials out in
the public.  Maybe this was a good marketing strategy as well.  Anyway,
if libraries wished to reatin older editions as research material (for
trend data), one had to write to R.Mc. staff and request permission to
retain.

Does anyone else know of this?

Jim Minton
Mapoteca - UTK