From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:13:35 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:14:20 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: 'Lohovice'/'Lochovice'
Sender: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>

Apologies to the List and to Riley Moffat, when I stated (incorrectly) in my
response yeterday that the 'ch' and the 'h' would be sounded similarly in
Czech.  As you will have noted in my 'sign off' I had just flown in from
over the Pond, and I did not Czech/check sufficiently what I was thinking.
However, this brings the opportunity to query whether the originally
spelling *was* what we should be searching for; if the place turns out to
be, in fact, 'Lochovice' (pronounced like 'lots-hovi-tsay') I need confuse
you no more!

Sincerely
Francis Herbert (Curator of Maps, RGS-IBG)
--- End Forwarded Message ---