From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:10:48 -0600
forwarded ...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        historical aerial photos of East Africa (fwd)
Date:   Tue, 3 Nov 2009 12:45:12 +0000
From:   Evelyn Dodds <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Can anyone help with this enquiry please?

From: Brian Kuns
Stockholm University

Stockholm University, as part of an EU funded project involving European and
African universities, is doing a preliminary inventory of archives of
historical aerial photos in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. A particular
interest is aerial photos from before independence, but post-independence
aerial photos are of interest as well. I am a student in the university?s
Human Geography Department and I have been asked to begin this process.

I wish to ask then if anyone knows of archives of aerial photos in Kenya,
Tanzania or Uganda and/or in Europe? If so, do you have contact information
for the archive and information on the procedures for accessing, copying or
scanning the photos? Also, what kind of condition are the photos in, and is
there accompanying information on flight path and coordinates?

A more general question is: are there any efforts underway to catalogue,
digitize and/or preserve historical aerial photos in East Africa (or
elsewhere in Africa?).

Any insight on the above questions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and with best regards,

Brian Kuns

Evelyn Dodds
Global Studies Resource Centre