From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:31:59 -0500
Subject:        Routledge Atlas of the World's Languages, 2ed
Date:   Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:03:48 +0100
From:   Giles Darkes <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Angie,

Your query on the Atlas has been forwarded to me, and I reply as the
Cartographic Editor of the new edition of the atlas, working on behalf
of Routledge.

Obviously, you could say I’m biased, but I do genuinely believe that
it’s worth acquiring the new edition! All maps have been revised, some
very considerably so. For example, the entire North American section
consists of completely new maps – seven maps show the linguistic
situation at the time of European contact, and two (smaller scale maps)
summarising the current situation showing the distribution of native
American languages as well as the principal European languages shown in
America. The N American contributors include Ives Goddard of the
Smithsonian, Lyle Campbell, Victor Golla, Bill Bright and others – all
leading authorities on North American languages.

The maps for both southern Asia and South-East Asia have been
substantially updated. For example, Taiwan showed about five languages
in the first edition, and in the second edition merits a new, half-page
map with 19 languages on it. Even areas which show relatively little
change – and I’m thinking of Europe - have also undergone revision and
checking, and dialectical information has been added or revised where it
was missing before.

The cartography has been revised and improved throughout, with a number
of new additional maps (e.g. the ligua francas of Africa, spread of
Chinese in SE Asia) incorporated in the texts which explain each
section. All accompanying text has been updated, and in some cases
completely rewritten, incorporating revised speaker-number information,
along with new sources. It’s also up to date, and I am working on a
final number of language inclusions as I write (including two new one
from China). The classification of languages has also been updated to
take into account recent scholarship. So, all in all, even though the
basic layout of the atlas is similar to the 1ed, it should be seen as a
new publication.

I hope this clarifies the situation. Do e-mail me if you need any more
information. Since the book has not yet gone to press, it won’t be
available for review just yet.

Best wishes

Giles Darkes

On behalf of Routledge / Taylor & Francis

“Has anyone ordered the 2nd edition Routledge atlas of world languages?
At $700 - I'd like to know if there are really that many differences
between the 1st and 2nd editions. Is anyone able to speak to this issue??

Thanks.

Angie”

--

Angie Cope
American Geographical Society Library
UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201

http://www.uwm.edu/Libraries/AGSL/index.html
Hours: M-F 8:00am-4:30pm
(414)229-6282 / (800)558-8993 (US TOLL FREE) / (414)229-3624 (FAX)