From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kimberly C. Kowal
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:48:35 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:33:18 -0500
From: "Kimberly C. Kowal" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Sharing Data
Sender: "Kimberly C. Kowal" <[log in to unmask]>

Map libraries and collections:
Would you take a minute to answer a few questions about data sharing?

The MAGERT GeoTech Committee has been exploring issues related to sharing
non-copyrighted geospatial data among map libraries.  With this survey, we'd
like to find if there is a need for data sharing, if libraries are willing
to share non-copyright data, and what the impediments are to sharing, with
the idea of establishing a mechanism to improve our ability to locate and
obtain data.

We would appreciate hearing your experiences and opinions.  Thank you, in
advance, for your input!

Institution:

Does your library own non-copyrighted geospatial data, in particular DOQs or
LandSat imagery?
 State/s:
  Other parts of the world:

Would you be willing to share these data with other libraries?
If not, what are your reasons?

Do you have (or foresee) a need to obtain such data (DOQs or LandSat
imagery) within your institution?

Do you (in the map section, not umbrella libraries) currently ever share
digital data, formally or informally, by requesting or lending to other
institutions?  If so, how?

Do you have any suggestions for furthering sharing of non-copyrighted data
among libraries?

Kimberly C. Kowal
John R. Borchert Map Library
University of Minnesota Libraries
Minneapolis, MN  55455

Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Geosciences and Map Library
Guyot Hall, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804