Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:32:36 EST
Hello,

The Vietnam Veterans WWW Home Page consists of war-era
pictures and stories contributed by Veterans and
others who had an intimate relationship with Vietnam
during the 60's and early 70's.

We are also building an online library of tactical
maps to support references to the images, stories, and
events in the Home Page.  At this point, we have
scanned in a few areas from maps donated by Vets or
obtained from other sources.  Our goal is to
eventually have all of the significant parts of
Vietnam available within this library.  We intend to
electronically "annotate" these maps with overlays to
further "explain" the related combat events.

We are looking for sources of 1:50,000, 1:250,000 and
other scale maps of Vietnam.  Maps that have already
been digitized make our job a lot easier, but hard
copy in good condition can also be scanned.  French
and other nationalities map products are also of
interest.  Active links to other WWW sites with these
materials already on line would be welcomed.

We are currently storing these maps in JPEG and .gif
formats.

We can arrange for inter-library loans of the
materials as necessary.

All materials placed in the Vietnam Veterans Home page
are available for use by anyone with a WWW viewer.

The URL is "http://grunt.space.swri.edu/index.htm"
The maps we currently have loaded are in the "Visit to
Vietnam Section" and in "Cake Walk" in "Remembrance".
These will all be crosslinked to one library site in
the near future.

thanks,

Bill McBride

Southwest Research Institute