From:
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 06:54:24 -0600
Subject:        Re: Map Inventory
Date:   Sat, 2 Nov 2013 16:17:13 GMT
From:   Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Is inventory taking a useful activity?  Yes, in some circumstances.
Will almost any inventory turn up missing and mismarked maps?  Will it
discover titles that were presumed to be cataloged but which are not?
Yes, and yes, but deciding to do something as expensive as an inventory
ought to be approached very cautiously.
The library should not launch an inventory simply because it has not’t
been done for some years (or ever).  Rather, a compelling reason should
exist.  Maybe there is evidence of past sloppy record-keeping or
inaccurate marking or barcoding of individual sheets.  Perhaps the
decision is out of the map librarian’s hands because it is required by
an auditor or the library’s insurer.
If an inventory is truly needed, or it’s suspected that it might be,
start with a small section of the collection to see what benefits are
likely to be derived from a full one.   Ideally a required inventory can
be put off until all maps have been barcoded and inventory taking can be
done with swiping and machine matching.  This step would also make
possible an accurate count of the number of maps in the collection.
In most situations routine paging and circulation activities will turn
up the bulk of all discrepancies that might be discovered in an inventory.
Compared to other library needs, the return on investment from doing an
inventory is probably going to be small.  Greater benefit can almost
certainly be derived from other activities.  For example, shelf-reading
of heavily used sections in order to make sure maps are in proper call
number order, weeding, reducing processing and cataloging backlogs,
converting paper catalog records to machine-readable form,
encapsulation, or scanning/web publishing.

Philip Hoehn
San Francisco -- [log in to unmask]