From:
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:27:11 -0500
Subject:        classification of NG map on Gettysburg Campaign
Date:   Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:30:01 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I put off doing this map while tending to some other maps recently
purchased, some of which required original cataloging. Now I am back to
it, and here is why I put off this one that should have been easy-peasy.

It’s a map showing two units, one a Virginia regiment of Lee’s Army of
Northern Virginia, the other a Pennsylvania regiment in Meade’s Army of
the Potomac. It traces their routes from Chancellorsville to
(ultimately) Gettysburg, with skirmishes, the Va regiment’s jaunt north
to Carlisle before a rendezvous near Gettysburg with other CSA units.

One record used G3822.G4 for Gettysburg National Battlefield, another
used G3824.G3 for city of Gettysburg. Both used the publication date,
2012, for a map whose title is “1863, Turning Point of the Civil War.”

To my mind there was more than one conundrum presented by this. It is
not a map of the battlefield, and it is certainly not a map of the city.
It is also not a map that shows the situation in 2012. It is a map
showing routes between central Virginia and east central Pennsylvania.
So I have classed it as G3791.S5 1863. That is Middle Atlantic States,
history, U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865, showing a situation that occurred
over some weeks in 1863.

Because the record I plan to use has had 45 uses, I am reluctant to
replace the record with this new classification number. Does anyone have
any thoughts on this, other than what I have presented?

Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Maps Librarian Phone: 513-529-1726

Miami University Libraries

Oxford, Ohio 45056 USA