From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:36:16 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE:      MAPS-L: Library liability?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005
From: Carlucci, April <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Brendan

While I follow your reasoning, many years ago it was stipulated in the
guidelines to U.S. federal depository libraries that libraries were
*required* to stamp nautical charts "Obsolete--not for navigation" upon
receipt. Failure to do so could result in depository status being
withdrawn, which meant you wouldn't receive any charts (or anything
else) freely from the U.S. government, which, being the major source of
acquisition for many libraries, would not be an acceptable situation.
Thus, stamping charts as obsolete was less onerous than the alternative.

As to older maps and charts, I certainly wouldn't use any of them to
find out what New Jersey looks like! They never got that right!

Regards
April Carlucci
Cataloguing Manager and Curator of Modern Maps
British Library Map Collections