From:
Ross Togashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 09:01:04 EDT
Greetings,
I've been in contact with Dr. Gunnar Thompson and have forwarded to
him all the responses generated by his earlier message that appeared
on Maps-L on 6/15/95.  He is very pleased to hear from the many of you
regarding the 1414 AD De Virga map.  Dr. Thompson has asked me to send
an update to those who might be interested.  Also, some people have
askedd, so let me say that I am not in anyway affiliated with Dr.
Thompson's research.  I am only acting as his gateway to the internet
until he is able to get "online".  Please continue to contact Dr.
Thompson directly (and not me) at his address/phone/fax listed in his
message below.

Thank you very much,
Ross Togashi
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Hamilton Library, Map Collection

-------------------Dr. Gunnar Thompson's update----------------------

Re: America's oldest map 1414 AD - UPDATE

North America on Albertine De Virga's map is identified by sequence
of headlands and isle identified as Newfoundland on Bishop Hans
Resen map of 1605.  Greenland is identified by Fridtjoff Nansen
(1911) in reference to Medici maps of 1351.  This map by De Virga
includes Florida and Antilles.  It is based on six documentedd
voyages of English Franciscan and Oxford-trained astronomer Nicholas
of Lynn 1350-1380.  South America on this map follows Arabic tradition
of Waq-Waq, Roman tradition of Cattigara, andd Hindu tradition of
India Patalis.  It is correctly named "Paru" for the region of the
Bay of Guayaquil and has a remarkably accurate coastline for Ecuador
to Peru.

Best,
Gunnar (signed)

Gunnar Thompson
221 Wist Annex - CE
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Honolulu, HI 96822-2463   fax: (808) 956-3814   ph.: (808) 956-7904