From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:52:19 -0500
------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Fwd: Question about 300 field for atlases
Date:   Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:34:17 -0400
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Allison,

I'm not as good with this level of detail for the 300$a portion of a
record for an atlas (in part because its based on book/monograph
description) so I was hoping others would jump in to assist. I do know
that there has been a number of rule interpretations for this part of
the description over the years. From what you have given here, I think
your 300$a is fine except the word "Atlas" should not be capitalized,
and the comma deleted after "79". For your 300$b, if any of the maps are
multi-color that should be brought out here. And, as for the 300$c,
delete the "(fol.)" at the end (and if you were to retain this the word
"folded" is not listed in Appendix B of AACR2R as a word that can be
abbreviated so it would not be abbreviated here or elsewhere though
you'll find this and other words abbreviated under older cataloging rules).

A couple of articles, with examples, that might be helpful to
read/review if you haven't already are found in _Maps and Related
Cartographic Materials: Cataloging, Classification and Bibliographic
Control_ by the Haworth Information Press in 1999. All items in the book
were initially published in a special double theme issue of /Cataloging
& Classification Quarterly/, Vol. 27, No. 1/2 and No. 3/4, 1999.

For contemporary atlases see:

Andrew Paige G. /Cataloging the Contemporary Printed Atlas/, pp. 147-164

For early atlases see:

Romero, Lisa and Nancy Romero. /Cataloging Early Atlases: A Reference
Source/, pp. 265-284

Keep in mind that these were written in the late 1990s and so some
details have changed in the course of the past dozen years in terms of
MARC and OCLC.

Hope this helps...

Paige