From:
Maura O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:42:19 EDT
Linda
I have moved our map collection, consisting of over 600 000 maps in
oaver 720 cabinets, twice, in the time I have been with the collection.
The drawers have always been removed first, stacked on pallets and then
reinserted in the cabinets when the latter are in place.  before the
cabinets were emptied of drawers, each cabinet was numbered and each
drawer in the cabinet numbered as part of that cabinet eg. Cabinet 1,
drawer 1-1, 1-2, etc.  We also had a plan of the existing area and where
the cabinets were located and a plan of the new area where they were to
be moved, with a clear indication on each plan as to the location of the
cabinets.
It is a lot of work but it virtually eliminates the problems you have
experienced, particularly the damage to the maps.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia.