From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2011 09:52:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Gazeteers - how important?
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:44:26 -0400
From: John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Rob, my library relies on the GNIS
http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS1507 for current US geographic names
and the NGA's GEOnet Names Server (GNS)
http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS18715 for areas outside the US.

When early gazetteers contain historical tidbits or earlier place names
on maps that your library holds or might reference, those might be
retained. Gazetteers which are printed computer files may not be worth
the shelf space.

John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717-5267
302 831-8671