From:
Iain Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 12:18:52 EDT
Related to this is the 'orrery' -  (the word has an interesting entry in the
OED!).

I saw an Earth, moon, sun version produced in this century with a miniature
earth globe by Phillips of London & Liverpool.  It was a complex clock-like
mechanism that showed in an analogue way exactly the area of the earth lit at
different times and seasons. The brass rim gave the months of the year.

Does anyone know of a good reference book or article on these?  Are they still
available?

                                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Dr.Iain C. Taylor                   XX  Have you sampled?:
Chief Geographer                    XX
National Atlas Information Service  XX  NAIS on the Web URL:
Geomatics Canada                    XX
                                    XX  http://www-nais.ccm.emr.ca/
[log in to unmask]                      XX
fax 613-943-8282                    XX  National Atlas maps; Geographic Names
phone 613-992-4028                  XX  'Make a map'; Quizzes, etc., etc.
                                    XX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX