From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:10:08 -0500
Subject: RE: [Fwd: spray painting map cases]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:01:53 -0700
From: David Jones <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum'" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Alice

When the map collection moved from the Geography department to the
Library
it came with ~ 150+ "assorted" map cabinets of various colours and
hues.  We
had them all "painted" by an electrostatic process after they were
positioned. This technique allows the outside of the cabinets to be
spray
'painted' without any problems of drift or overspay and with the
materials
in the drawers.  They were done overnight and were complete dry in the
morning - we were told not to touch them for about 1 day while they
'cured'
and that the complete curing (or hardening) would take about a week or
so.

I must say that the uniform colour of the cabinets certainly gave the
area a
much improved visual impression than the previous hodgepodge.  Since
then,
of course, new cabinets that we have purchased are in different colours
so
we're losing the unified effect.  Perhaps in a few years we';; try for
funds
to have the new cabinets painted to match the rest of the collection.

Hope this helps.  If you would like more details let me know and I'll
see
what I can find.

David