Date:
Tue, 11 May 1993 14:28:57 EDT
Thanks to all who offered an opinion or reference on the Piri Reis
map, particularly to David Woodward and Charley Seavey.

Speculation on the map was beginning to take on a life of its own in
our "debunking" topics, so I felt the need to get some professional
opinions.  I was able to obtain a copy of Hapgood's Maps of the
Ancient Sea Kings after posting here, and was glad to see that some
of my criticisms posted to GEnie were also raised here.  As has been
mentioned, Hapgood's analysis contains several flaws of logic and
geophysics, requires several gaps in covereage (amounting to at
least 25 degrees), and in addition several sections of the map must
be rotated to make his interpretation fit reality.

FR
 Asst. sysop
 GEnie Space and Science Roundtable