From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1993 14:39:04 EST
4 messages on various aspects of the DOQ problem.-----------Johnnie

      [log in to unmask] (J Fieber)
         Re: DOQ Problem
      Wed, 1 Dec 93 16:30:19 EST

Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> GPO...  I just discovered that a sample DOQ was distributed to depository
> libraries called the "Olmsted County" project, Minnesota under Sudoc number
> I 19.120:OL 5/CD.  You might want to take a look at it before making your
> selection.  I've not had any luck getting mine to display yet, but we're
> still working on it.  I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has been able
> to use theirs.

The software that comes on the disk is pretty clunky to say the
least.  The best results I got with the packaged software was on
a 486DX50 machine with a Diamond Stealth video card using the
VESA display mode.  Even that was a little buggy.  I got somewhat
better results on a sparcstation equipped with 64 meg of ram and
240 meg of swap and a 19" monitor.

Most image display software tries to read the entire image into
RAM before displaying it.  That approach falls apart with the
huge ( > 50 megabyte ) images on the DOQ disks.  Short of an
elaborate GIS package, I have not found a convenient solution for
viewing them yet.  (I have not looked too hard though...)

If anyone has a solution, I'd like to know about it.  MS-DOS and
Mac solutions are preferred since those platforms are easier to
come by but Unix/X11 solutions are certainly welcome.

-john

== John Fieber ================================== Young Science Library ==
== [log in to unmask] ======= Smith College, Northampton MA 01063 ==

-----------------------------------

              Wed, 1 Dec 93 22:41+0000
              RE: DOQ Problem

This was my request on ACDGIS-L about the DOQ mentioned... I got a test disk
from Reston but have also some problems to read it properly on my PCI-266
with V7 Mercury graphic board...
Frank H.
--
(request message included)

P1-Message-Id: DE*D400*TU-DRESDEN;dfnserv-tud1003931201234105-K9R
Date:         Wed, 1 Dec 93 22:41+0000
X400-Trace:   DE*D400*TU-DRESDEN; arrival Wed, 1 Dec 93 22:41+0000 action
Relayed
X400-Trace:   de*d400*GmD; arrival Wed, 1 Dec 93 22:43+0000 action Relayed
X400-Trace:   de*d400*GMD; arrival Wed, 1 Dec 93 23:47+0100 action Relayed