From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:13:54 -0500
Subject:        RE: SimplyMap Database
Date:   Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:53:12 -0400
From:   Weessies, Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

My map fund isn't enough to cover such an expense, but I did acquire buy-in from our Business librarians and they are bearing the brunt of the cost.  Labor and Industrial Relations and Urban Planning folks like it too.  Like Terri said, it is popular with advertising.  In addition, we have strong program in marketing research, which is the 'sweet spot' of Simplymap data.   I think the product has grown beyond the scope of its name as it is by no means only a mapping tool.  All the data can be exported in tabular form.

The great plus of the data is that it is massaged into census-tract geographies so students can compare neighborhoods on hundreds of factors.  Small geography data is otherwise problematic outside of the census.  We pay extra to extend our census data back to 1980, but it also has a lot of consumer group and consumer behavior information.  We have full IP access through the Proxy server which allows off-campus access to currently enrolled students plus of course faculty and staff.

My coworker Breezy and her predecessor made a very nice guide to using Simplymap, which you can see here:  http://libguides.lib.msu.edu/simplymap
On the 'Creating Maps' tab you can see a lot of the categories of variables.

I have found the company to be very responsive to suggestions and feedback.  The product has evolved quite a lot in the last few years and promised features really do happen.  We had some trouble on our 'selected resource' computers which are locked down to disallow community patrons from having freewheeling access to the Internet while still having access to all the library endorsed Internet resources.  I don't recall if it was a java issue or something to do with the server names, but we got it resolved.

Kathleen Weessies
Geosciences Librarian
Head, Map Library
Michigan State University
100 Library W308
East Lansing, MI  48824
Phone (new) 884-0849
The Map Library main number remains 517-884-6467