Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 1995 14:09:12 EST
Alice, et. al, re: access to map homepages:

In addition to the extant WWW search engines, there is a new, homepage
          subject
          access tool called YAHOO.   I've yet to find out if it's
          picking up topics directly from the URL (in which case,
          don't use spam as a file name) or they're somehow
          volunteered.

           UCSD's map homepage URL is:
          http://gort.ucsd.edu/mw/maps.html .

           An interesting homepage byproduct: logins can be monitored
          and very detailed reports generated automatically to show
          hourly/daily/weekly/monthly use, right down to which
          subfiles are viewed.  Our first three weeks of running
          attracted 8,000 logins from an eclectic, worldwide
          clientele.

          we're also scanning in maps of the San Diego/Tijuana metro
          area. i think of that as a map billboard--or virtual
          atlas--for our primary area and am asking local
          public/private agencies to display their San Diego/Tijuana
          GIF files there. Then, if they want to develop their own
          homepage, we'll be happy to supply a link to it.

          LC

NYPL Map Div hopes to scan and have up on the WWW by June, in a learning
project for us, some 40 maps of towns and forts taken from a little atlas in
our antiquarian collections.

In our homepage we would like to point to other library map collections which
are on the net, with their addresses. Is there an easy way to find this out,
or can you guys just respond to this message and tell me?  A sentence or two
of description would be nice, so that we can direct folks accurately.

As a rank beginner here, I am wondering if others who are years ahead of us on
this, have created databases which we might learn from, steal from, whatever.
In other words, for each image, what fields did you create? Did you follow the
AACR2 format? Something new? Is someone out there trying to create a standard
format for map collections on the net? The next time out we might want to scan
a slew of modern maps, so designing a database/searching tool that is flexible
is of the first order here. This time it's antiquarian,next time might be
modern stuff, followed by aerial photographs, or who knows what. HELP!

Apologies, I know dumb questions from peagreen beginners drive everyone crazy,
but your new very best friend Alice, will appreciate any insights you all have
to offer...

You may answer to me directly at the addresses below. Or on the net if that is
easier and helpful to others. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE GOOD STUFF YOU
ARE GOING TO SEND ME!

Alice Hudson
Chief, Map Division, NYPL
The Research Libraries