From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 15:44:52 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:36:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cataloging orthophotoquad CD-ROM
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

As part of Ohio's cooperative program with USGS and NASA called OhioView,
we have received a set of CD-ROMs containing a complete set of Digital
Orthophoto Quadrangle (DOQ) data for the state of Ohio.  We have made use
of the images, which are actually in quarter-quad size, on our Geographic
Information Services site  http://gis.lib.muohio.edu/

We are about to attempt to catalog the CD-ROM themselves as a collection.
The resources on the site with the above url already exist in metadata
files on our database.  They are available both for viewing and to
download, but we want to make the disks available to local users who might
need to download files in other formats or in larger batches.  Hence
brings my query to the list.

Has anyone cataloged any similar disks, particularly a set of such disks?
The full set for Ohio comprises about 300 disks, so my assumption is that
it would work better to prepare a single record for the set.  Are there
issues you have encountered that we should be aware of, or that we should
try to avoid?  Are there issues that we should be aware of that will make
the task easier, or that will assist our users?

My intention is that we would have a MARC record in the OCLC database.
Metadata appears on the disks but it is not in MARC standard.

Please respond off the list, to me directly.  If there appears to be
interest, I will summarize for the list.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---