From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:22:22 -0500
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Contribute to the Registry of U.S. Government
Publication Digitization Projects
Date:   Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:04:59 -0400
From:   Tsering W Shawa ([log in to unmask]) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

I do agree with Paige, Phil and David about consolidating map scan register project. However, at this stage I do not see any problem in starting different scanned map registry databases, because they serve different constituencies and also give different options of registering scanned materials at different portals. The WAML main focus (my understanding talking to their chair last year) is on their regional libraries whereas GPO focuses on government maps. MAGERT registry will allow anyone who wishes to registry their scanned materials.

When I and the WAML chair had a talked about their registry project, I encourage her to start their registry whenever they can and told the WAML?s chair that MAGERT will also start a map scan registry soon. I told her that in future we could merge our databases. The WAML?s goal and our goal were to encourage libraries and institutions to registry their scan materials, if possible.

At this stage, I am not worried about people getting confused about where to registry their materials what I am worried about is how many libraries will actually registry their scanned materials on the three known registries.

As far as MAGERT is concern our ultimate goal is to merge the MAGERT?s scan registry into a national or an international scanned map database. This is not just my opinion we discuss the above goals in our MAGERT?s meetings. Am I right Chris? Chris Kollen, University of Arizona Library is the charge of MAGERT map scan registry.

Right now, map community has an option of registering their scanned materials in three portals. More options may encourage more people to register their collections. I would encourage libraries and institutions to registry their scanned maps in whichever portals they feel comfortable in registering. If your materials do not fit under the GPO registry definition, then use either MAGERT or WAML registries.

Thanks,
-Wangyal

Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Geosciences and Map Library
Fine Hall B Level, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804