From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:40:27 -0500
Subject: RE: KAPPA Map Group LLC - umbrella - map publishing
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:28:44 -0400
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I have been an early customer through Russell Guy of several of these
maps for the maps collection here.  I began cataloging several of these
purchases.  While many required original records, I have had no problem
with authority records.  One already exists for Kappa Map Group, and
others such as ADC, Universal Map, Mapsco, American Map, have been in
the authority files for a while.

The biggest challenge has been to determine place of location, as some
of the maps do not give a place.  The website that Angie quoted from is
helpful.  However, many of the maps that are currently being distributed
I think were published before some of the acquisitions by Kappa Map
Group were complete.  Where Kappa Map Group is named on a map at least
as recent as 2010, Library of Congress has been using Blue Bell, PA as
the place.  This is given on the website as the place of the business.
But maps by Universal Maps seem rather peripatetic, ADC has some that do
not name Alexandria, VA, and Mapsco is sometimes in Addison, TX,
sometimes elsewhere.  But the names, including the new one, are already
authorized as valid corporate names.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA