From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:06:23 -0500
Subject:        cataloging query - plots from digital originals
Date:   Fri, 7 Jul 2006 15:23:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello, cataloguing colleagues.

Has anyone had any experience in cataloging maps printed on plotter from a
digital original?  I recently acquired a nearly complete set of Nicaragua
1:250,000, plotted from digital originals produced by INETER, Nicaragua,
2002-2004.  The plotted copies were produced on demand by a vendor, Omni
Maps (Thanks, Russell, they are very high quality).

I find there is no record for an INETER set of Nicaragua 1:250,000 in
OCLC, so that a new record needs to be created.  There are some aspects of
these that are similar to photocopies, and some aspects that are
different.  There are some minimal similarities to the cataloging of the
digital originals, but scale is actual rather than nominal.

As best as I can tell, the relevant MARC fields would be 007 for
Cartographic materials, 300 subfield b, for physical description, and
possibly a 500 note.  The digital versions apparently do not have a
printed border or neat line, but the printed map area is clearly defined
so the dimensions, subfield c of 300, should not be difficult to apply.
For 'normal' printed maps I follow LC practice and do not use a general
material descriptor, subfield h, in field 245.  Is this an instance where
such would be recommended?

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA