From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:56:38 -0600
Subject:        Seeking Thomas Brothers Archives
Date:   Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:55:22 -0700
From:   Hugh T Hoskins <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hello:

The Downey (California) Historical Society has been given an old
(c.1937) Thomas Brothers map of our City, and I am hoping to learn
its date by locating their archives and hopefully an index.

When Rand McNally bought Thomas Brothers Maps, then the old Thomas
Brothers archives seemed to have disappeared.
Separate contacts with RandMcNally, variously told me that the
archives were given (1) to The Newberry in Chicago and (2) to the
UCLA Geography Dept in LosAngeles.
BOTH of those have extensive map holdings but say that they do not
have and never have had any such archives. It seem impossible that
such a body of work would have been allowed to disappear.

Would appreciate any additional leads that any of you might be able
to offer, from your field of expertise.

Thanks,, /s/ Hugh