From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:38:18 -0500
Subject: RE: Hudson Map closing office, going on line
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:27:07 -0500
From: Lee, Kent (EVIS) <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

GPS alone cannot end the days of paper maps.  Ever try to plan a
vacation with a GPS?  Nat Case of Hedberg Maps is correct, another
strong example is East View Map Link, also located in the Twin Cities,
along with its sister East View companies, who all are alive and
thriving.  East View Map Link is a major map and atlas distributor to
map, book and other retailers worldwide.

It's all about what you are offering and your business models.  To
paraphrase Mark Twain, "the death of paper maps has been highly
exaggerated." Yes, if you are in the urban point to point navigation
paper map business, you may experience what Hudson has had to do to
exist, or worse.  If you are in the reference, education, decor and
tourism mapping business, and are managing it correctly (including
embracing technology), you will continue to do well.

Cheers,

Chris Knoebel
Director of Sales and Marketing
East View Map Link