From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:51:08 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:26:54 +1000
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: WW2 Chinese maps
Sender: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>

I am seeking copies of large scale mapping of Kwang-chow-wan
(Quang-tcheou-wan), the French concession nestled in the armpit of the
Guangtung peninsula in southern china.
The Naval Intelligence Division handbooks from 1944 list many series of
maps of china including French Indochinese surveys. I am also interested in
getting copies of maps of the other foreign concessions in China:
Russia/Japan's Port Arthur, Britain's Weihaiwei, Germany's Tsingtao
(Qingdao), and the various international concessions in  Tientsin
(Tianjin), shanghai and Amoy. Most of these seem to have been mapped at
1:30 000, 1:50 000, 1:100 000 or 1:200 000 by the CHinese, Japs, Americans,
Germans, Brits, etc
Does anyone have such pre and during-WW2 mapping of these ports, or any
parts of China?
Kwangchowwan may well be filed under Vietnam/Indochina, rather than China.

I guess tho' I may have to hunt the Lib of Congress or the British
Libraries, Bibliotheque Nationale, etc...

Thanks

Brendan Whyte
Uni Melbourne
--- End Forwarded Message ---