From:
David Medeiros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:11:14 -0700
My very quick guess, based on some years in print production for offset
lithography of maps, is that those are color check samples for process
or spot colors in the map run. It may have been used to check colors in
the map against a color swatch to make sure the color was printing
correctly in the run.

There may also have been some targets printed along other parts of the
sheet that helped id the plate alignment. All of these are press check
aids I think.

The color dot you see is related to what color plates were used in the
print run, so only photo revised maps would contain the purple plate.

Again, purely a guess.

David