From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 08:08:02 -0500
Subject:        Map Curators’ Group 2010 Workshop, Cambridge, England, 8-10
September.
Date:   Mon, 31 May 2010 13:21:38 +0100
From:   Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
To:     lis-maps messages <[log in to unmask]>, Carto Soc messages
<[log in to unmask]>, Maps-L messages <[log in to unmask]>,
Map Hist messages <[log in to unmask]>, Ordnance Survey Group messages
<[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask], Liber GdC
Group <[log in to unmask]>

Dear all

Apologies for cross posting.

The *Map Curators’ Group* of the British Cartographic Society is pleased
to invite map curators, map librarians, archivists and all those charged
with the care of maps to its *2010 Workshop* at Cambridge University
Library, in the historic city of Cambridge, England, 8-10 September 2010.

This year’s theme is */Beyond the neat line: More than just geography/*,
and we’ll be looking at what the marginalia tells us, how early
mass-produced paper maps were printed, and how digital initiatives are
giving map users more possibilities than ever before.

*Wednesday 8 September*: join us for five talks this year with our
speakers from Britain, Europe and America.

Martin Andrews, University of Reading Department of Typography, /18th
and 19th century map printing processes/

Steve Chilton and Ifan Shepherd, Middlesex University, /Staff carriers
and bean counters: Unravelling the who and the why of the first 6-inch
survey of England and Wales/

Marco van Egmond, Map Curator, Utrecht University Library, /Collecting
digital cartographic data in Utrecht: storage and accessibility/

Matt Knutzen, Geospatial Librarian, The New York Public Library Map
Division, /Maps@NYPL: New collaborative methods in (re)presenting
historical geography/

Richard Oliver, University of Exeter, Honorary Research Fellow in the
History of Cartography, /20th century Ordnance Survey paper map
marginalia and metadata/

Following the talks we will hold the MCG’s annual Business Meeting, and
then delegates are invited to a wine reception at Emmanuel College.

*Thursday 9 September*: Seppe Cassettari and Fiona Cocks of The
GeoInformation Group will lead two demonstration sessions: /A Beginner’s
Guide to UKMap/ and /Discovering the Past through Aerial Photography/.
The GeoInformation Group is a leading provider of high resolution aerial
photography and geospatial information products, and is also developing
a large scale database of the UK. After lunch we will have a “Town and
gown” walking tour of Cambridge, and then delegates have a choice of
visits to the *Whipple Museum of the History of Science*, whose
internationally known collection of early scientific instruments
includes one of the country’s finest collections of globes, or *Gonville
& Caius College Archive*, where the collections span eight centuries and
we will view some of their cartographic treasures. Join us in the
evening for a meal and some collegial networking at a local traditional
English restaurant.

*Friday 10 September*: a coach will take us to London where the *British
Library Map Collections* will host our private guided tours of the major
exhibition /Magnificent Maps: Power, Propaganda and Art/, conducted by
curators Peter Barber and Tom Harper. We hope to visit the Maps Reading
Room and the Library’s Treasures Gallery, where even more maps are on
display.

Come along to see new things, discuss interesting subjects, meet old
friends and make new ones!

Please see our brochure with full details at
http://www.cartography.org.uk/downloads/MCG/MCG_Sept2010_brochure_final.pdf
and our booking form at
http://www.cartography.org.uk/downloads/MCG/MCG_Sept2010_booking_form_final.pdf.
Direct online booking on the BCS website will be available at the end of
June, but booking by post and fax is now open. You may also request an
invoice for institutional payments. If you wish to book online, please
contact Anne Taylor via e-mail (address below) with an expression of
interest and to hold a place.

There is a specially priced offer for those wishing to attend the entire
MCG event, and a la carte options as well. Early bird booking closes on
30 July and all booking closes on 27 August, so reserve your place now!

This year the MCG has reserved a limited number of rooms at Robinson
College, less than five minutes by foot from our main venue. Rooms are
well appointed and some overlook a lovely garden. Bed and breakfast
rates for single rooms are Ł60/night. Book early on the Robinson website
http://rooms.robinson.cam.ac.uk/BnB/Step1.aspx using the booking
reference 11159. If delegates wish to book extra nights, or wish to book
one of the limited number of twin rooms, please contact Anne Taylor
(details below).

We hope you will join us for this exciting event in the historic city of
Cambridge!

Anne Taylor
Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR (Tel:
01223-333041. Fax: 01223-333160. email: [log in to unmask])

--
Anne Taylor
Head of Map Department, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR

!!NOTE NEW VAT NUMBER: G.B. 823 8476 09!!