From:
Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 12:45:14 EST
Scott,

I am not positive that this is linked to the phrase "Scale indeterminable"
but I do know that the phrase isn't used anymore. Instead, use "Scale not
given." in the 255 field. As for the 034, set the first indicator to 0,
second indicator is blank, key in the code letter "a" and nothing else. This
should work.

Should look like this:

034 1[blank]  a [end of field marker]

Do not put in a subfield "b" or any other information in the field unless
you have coordinates that also need to go in. If you have further problems
let me know and perhaps we can work this out over the phone.

Paige

>I am having problems entering the 034 field when I want the first
>indicator to be 0.  The maps I am cataloging are old city maps and I want
>to put "scale indeterminable" in the 255 field as "Bibliographic Formats
>and Standards" (p.0:72) instructs.  When I do this OCLC gives me an error
>message telling me I have an invalid indicator in that line.  The system
>will accept the field if under subfield "a" I use a "z" for "Other".
>
>Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
>
>Scott

Mr. Paige G. Andrew
Maps/Nonbook Cataloger
E506 Pattee Library