From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:28:15 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 19:03:50 -0400
From: William A. Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: How do you correct erroneous KY maps?

I am interested in genealogy and I usually just lurk on this list, but I've just came upon a map error and I was wondering what to do about it.

After a confusing discussion with another genealogist, a review of old maps has shown that older maps of Carroll County, KY show a road in northwest Carroll County that follows Hampton Creek was called, sensibly, Hampton Lane.    Another road east of Hampton Creek was once called Hunter Heights, later Kawneer.   It was near Deweese Creek.

But somewhere along the way the lane old Hampton Lane was mislabeled Deweese Road, and the road formerly called Hunter Heights was labeled Hampton Lane.      In effect the road nearest Deweese Creek is now labeled Hampton Lane, and the road along Hampton Creek is labeled Deweese Road.     This appears to be an error not just because of the creeks, but also because of the families that gave these roads their names.

But what does one do with this information?   I am thinking perhaps that first I would contact the State Highway Department to make sure they have the names right, then contact the USGS to make sure they correct future maps then hope the correction filters down from there?   Sound reasonable?   Or are they likely to say, "Why change it?"

Bill Davis                                                             [log in to unmask]
  * * * Fax  (978)334-7850  *  P.O. Box 337 * Ghent * KY * 41045  * * *