From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:58:38 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:20:38 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: List of countries
Sender: [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues,

     I received this question from another librarian, and do not know of
such a list.  Does anyone know of anything that might be helpful?  Given
the difficulty of distinguishing between a "country," and a colony or
protectorate, I imagine that constructing a list of countries going back
100 years is not as simple as one might think:

     "A colleague would like to know all countries of the world going back
100 years.  Is there a source you would refer to for this type of
information?  For a current list of countries, I use the CIA World
Factbook.  But, how do you trace countries who have had name changes?"

David Allen
Map Librarian
SUNY Stony Brook

--- End Forwarded Message ---