From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 12:10:07 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:10:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Deborah Mekeel TAL 850/488-9380 <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Aerial photo question
Sender: Deborah Mekeel TAL 850/488-9380 <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings mapsters,

Thanks to all who helped answer my question regarding the state and county
codes on the USDA aerial photos.  Through your kind efforts, I have been able
to identify about 90% of the photos in question.

For others faced with the same problem, here is a short summary of the
translation of the codes:

1. The National Archives holds the air photo records for ASCS and has the
originals.  They issued in 1971 a Special List No. 25 "Aerial
Photographs in the National Archives." (GS4.7/25)  This booklet lists
the codes used for the counties by ASCS and other federal agencies. But
the listing is by state and by county within each state.  That makes it
harder to look up an individual code if you do not know the state.

2. The USDA published a list of those 3-letter symbols.  Its called "Symbols
for Aerial Photography", 1964.  It contains a section of an alphabetical
listing of symbols (pages 79-111).

3.In July 1964, the Aerial Photography Division, Agricultural Stabilization and
Conservation Service, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, revised a publication titled:
Code symbols for identification of aerial photography assigned to Agricultural
Stabilization and Conservation Service, Forest Service, Soil Conservation
Service. (althought the title varies, this may be the same publication as #2
above)

In addition to these print resources, there were these two suggestions:

1. Contact the Aerial Photography Field office in Salt Lake City.
APFO/FSA/USDA
2222 West 2300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
Tel: (801)975-3500 Ext. 214

(The good folks there provided me with a .pdf file of codes. They are in
State/County order, but searchable by code using the Find command in Acrobat
Reader.)

2. Contact individual aerial photo firms.  The one that was suggested was
Abrams Aerial Survey Corp.  Phone:  1-800-826-7518 or 517-372-8100.

Thanks again to all who helped.

Best regards,
Deborah Mekeel

Deborah Mekeel